Mowing is also one of the gardening tasks that many people do mishandled. The mistakes you commit when mowing will have a negative effect on the health of your lawn and its overall look or appearance as well. To make sure that you are correctly carrying out your lawn mowing tasks, follow the tips and tricks below:
1. Keep a well-maintained lawn mower. Sharpen the mower’s blades monthly or at least twice a year to achieve best results. Clean out the clippings and debris every after use. This helps maintain the machine's cutting quality and it also prevents rusting.
2. Make a schedule. Never mow a freshly watered law. Mow only dry grass. Don't rush cutting when you are using a walk-behind mower or a riding machine especially if you are also mulching the lawn since this requires extra time to process the grass.
3. Do not follow the exact wheel tracks for quicker completion. Make a variety of mowing patterns every time. At each mow, try crisscrossing the mower to keep the cut at the same level. By going into alternate directions, you also scatter clippings for a cleaner and healthier lawn.
4. Use the right number of the grass blades. The stress on the blade could result in the lawn browning, especially when it’s summer. The lowest height for any lawn to be cut is just around two inches.
5. Be extra careful. When mowing on hills or sloped areas around your house, avoid going into high speeds and sudden turns. This tends to tear up the turf and could also harm you when things get wrong. If you're using a walk-behind mower, mow side-to-side. When using a tractor or rider, mow straight up and down slopes. Go slow if you're going down hills especially if you are using a zero-turn-radius mower.
Source: Jim’s Mowing is one of the top choices for lawn mowing services around Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo